2018 Jan to June - Nodding over Beautiful Baby Brianna

Gotta keep track of our only Nodder Baby and her sibs! :smiley:

Grandma & Grandpa got two days off… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I came home shortly after midnight Tuesday night and decided to check the car battery. The below zero (F) weather with the wind chill between -17F/-27C to -26F/-32C really knocks down a battery - especially if only making short hops of a mile or less. The computerized charger shows the battery level at 36%. :open_mouth: Because it was so cold out I decided a slow charge at 2 amps would be best. It took from 12:45 AM until 6:25 AM before it showed 100%! By the time I put the charger and lead cord away, locked up my workshop, went into the house and shut down the lights, and finally crawled into the bed a few minutes before 7AM! :sleeping: I woke up at 8:48 AM - two hours of sleep! :tired_face: I called my wife’s cellphone and was told she was ready to be picked up. I stopped at the Post Office first and collected the mail for us and the kids. (Yeah, we still call them “kids!”) My DIL had just brought Brianna upstairs for her nap. Missed her smiles!
After bringing the wife home, I left for the village to gas the car up, made a quick stop at a store, then picked up a couple of subs (heroes) for lunch. Tired… tired… tired…
Home less than an hour and my daughter calls to ask if I would install a new threshold at her front door. I said yes, but dreaded saying it. “Murphy’s Law” always seems to apply to me whenever I do something for my daughter. :slightly_frowning_face: This task “should” have taken less than 30 minutes.
1st thing to go wrong: My daughter’s dog, Abigail or Abbey, decides she has to go outside to do her business - takes 20 minutes.
2nd thing to go wrong: 3 of the 5 screws on the threshold snap while trying to extract them!
3rd thing to go wrong: The new rubber insert my daughter picked up was the wrong style!
4th thing to go wrong: I let Abbey “help” me and she kept on picking up my tools, walk into the next room and test their handles’ “chewiness!“
5th thing to go wrong: I go to the hardware store and buy a new threshold (one with it’s own rubber insert). I get back and the darn thing is 1/2”/1,27cm too long (wide). I take it down to my workshop and trim it to the proper size. (My wife asks what is taking me so long! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)
6th thing to go wrong: Abbey decides she wants out again - another 20 minutes go by.
7th thing to go wrong; Abbey decides now is the time to lick my face non-stop!
8th thing to go wrong: One of the cats (Nibbles) comes out to see Grandpa and the Abbey starts chasing the 19-yr old guy! :scream_cat: Cami, the younger female cat - has been hiding from the dog since my daughter left for work this morning. I finally get hold of Abbey’s collar and Nibbles makes a break for the next room - and under the bed! :smile_cat:
9th thing to go wrong: I so much wanted a cup of coffee. Found everything EXCEPT for the coffee grounds! :open_mouth: I ended up running back down to my house for coffee.
10th thing to go wrong: Abbey wants to be my helper again. It seems she has a thing about anything that’s made of rubber. “Get away from that insert!” :open_mouth:
11th thing to go wrong: Abbey steps on my lower back where the surgeon removed the bone from the back of 3 vertebrae - electrical shock down my right sciatic nerve! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
12th thing to go wrong: Attempting to install the rubber insert and getting the threshold installed, the darn thing doesn’t want to cooperate! (I hate those double inverted “Vs” - preferring the simple “T-slots instead.) Read the instructions again and way down at the bottom - after the instructions in several other languages - is a “Tip” for installing the insert. “Soak in warm water for 10 minutes, then coat lightly with liquid soap.” Oh come on! :unamused:
13th thing to go wrong: Once I finally get the insert installed. The door won’t shut! :open_mouth::roll_eyes::rage: The new threshold and insert is just 1/8th”/3mm too high! It’s keeping the door from closing the final inch/2,5cm!
14th thing to go wrong: The hardware store in town is closed. Nearest place to go is to Lowe’s in Glenmont - 16 miles/25,7km away… and it’s rush hour traffic now with people on their way home from work! Arrrgh! I decide to wait for my daughter in my car (so I can listen to the radio while staying warm).
15th thing to go wrong: My daughter decides to stop at her brother’s house to see the girls. After sitting in her driveway for 45 minutes (and nearly falling asleep) I drive home to get a cup of coffee. My wife asks me if I was done. :crazy_face: As soon as I sat down with my coffee my daughter walks in - asks me the same thing.
I followed ny daughter up to her house and show her the problem with the threshold. She very politely (batting her eyes as well and saying, “please, dad?” I work the insert out and reinstall it, this time lightly tapping down on it with a hammer. It appears to be seating closer to the threshold. Yeah!
16th thing to go wrong: Door almost but not quite closes all the way! :crazy_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I tell my daughter I will come back up in the morning - it’s now 11:42 PM - and will sand a 16th to an 8th of an inch off the bottom of the door. This will be the fastest - and easiest work-around to the problem. Did I mention that I started this project around 2 PM? :rofl:
Arriving home at nearly midnight, I find my wife has already gone to bed. I put my tools away, make a cup of coffee and visit with Angel (my cat) for a bit. I hopped on the forum with the intention of only staying for a few minutes. It is now 2 AM and I had just spooked the 6 deer beneath the big pine tree in my front yard. They were raiding the bird feeder, eating the peanuts, cracked corn and sunflower seeds. They took off across the front yard, ran across the street and up the woodlot on the other side. They’ll be heading across the state highway, up the dead-end town street and into the woods behind the grade school.
I’m hoping to finish this “little” project before the 6-8”/15-20cm of snow arrives. Then it’s back to our son’s house. Sigh! :tired_face:

Okay, we gotta step in for Ailing @Jim7 … Here is the gist of things…

Older 2 girls getting into their “whites” (old aprons from grandma) to help take care of sick grandpa. They feel his head for “fever” and listen at his chest for “wheezes”. They declare him well enough to read them a story–or two. Jim hacks his way through The Jungle storybook.

Grandma says the baby is off-limits. But Jim’s cough manages to make baby giggle. His sneeze shakes the rafters!

Angel is the only one who seems to know “He’s sick!” and lies on him to warm his chest.

Now, this is not the official word… just a fair guessing We’ll have to wait for official news from The Frigid Wooded Lane.

“Older 2 girls getting into their “whites” (old aprons from grandma) to help take care of sick grandpa. They feel his head for “fever” and listen at his chest for “wheezes”. They declare him well enough to read them a story–or two. Jim hacks his way through The Jungle storybook.”

So I was a little (actually a lot) hoarse trying to read them stories. Was actually a little comical listening to myself. :smile:

“Grandma says the baby is off-limits. But Jim’s cough manages to make baby giggle. His sneeze shakes the rafters!”

My DIL was the one who said that, but Brianna’s insisting Grandpa play with her overruled everyone. :grinning: I just kept my distance as much as possible and stayed away from her face… but the urge to give lots of kisses was unbearable! :hushed: Brianna seemed to ignore my coughs, but when I sneezed I would say, “Ah-chooey dooey do!” she would laugh and want me to do it over and over. :rofl:

“Angel is the only one who seems to know “He’s sick!” and lies on him to warm his chest.”

Every time she did get on my chest, she would jump off as soon as I coughed hard. And when I sneezed, she not only jumped off my chest, but left the room for a quieter place to cat nap. :smirk_cat:

Okay, so I made it back, but still coughing once in a while. But now Eva came down with a stomach bug around 4:20 PM on Monday! We were hoping it was just a 24-hour bug but, as of 10:25 tonight, she is still vomiting. The poor thing is so hungry! She’s used to eating non-stop from the time she gets up until dinner (and dessert). Nothing seems to want to stay down - liquid or semi-solids. No fever, just vomiting. Olivia had the same thing (but only for 24 hours) last Thursday afternoon. At least the baby has only had a running nose - teething again. This time her two upper teeth are getting close to the surface of her gums. I bet she’ll be an eating machine like her sister Eva! :rofl: And neither of them are overweight! Olivia is skinny like a toothpick, Eva is just the right weight (and size), and Brianna is working on her “baby figure,” soon to be working off a couple of rolls of baby fat. :rofl: She is trying to stand up (at 6 months) before she crawls, but most of the time ends up “hopping” like a toad! :rofl: Once in a while she does land on her face. It’s so funny watching her get on her hands, pull her feet up close, and then raise her bottom high up in the air, and then realizes she doesn’t know what to do after that! We think she’ll be walking at 9 months (before learning to crawl) just like her father. :thinking:

Grandma just informed me we have no water… a water main break! :unamused: I guess I better call the dispatch center. It is supposed to go down to 10F/-12C tonight, but up to around 40F/4,4C tomorrow. Oops! Eva’s getting sick again!

Clear broth… clear broth… little bits at a time… like, 2-ccs at a time. Once she holds that down through a day, dry toast, plain, with plain broth.

Poor kid.

Poor Jim.

PS Remember, high fat is hard to digest. Chicken Soup canned is really high in fat.

And salt also! That’s why we always used to make homemade. :yum:

Yes it does. But she’s losing lots of electrolytes too. Losing Na+ will push up K+ so you need to get some lytes into her. Have you tried pedialyte?

Yes, the Pedialyte liquid as well as the Pedialyte freeze pops - but sparingly because of them being so cold - like outside! We have both salted and unsalted crackers. Eva doesn’t like the unsalted anyway. They’re probably too bland for her. But she does like the salted ones. Oops… got to go again!

I remember my son having a bad bug like when he was about 9-12 mths, we starved him for the day just feeding him water, taking the chill off it. Next day he was out of it and starving for food and, poor baby, we gave him some dry toast, well, we just couldn’t help but laugh our socks off at his frustrations to eat, he couldn’t eat it fast enough . . . like instantly . . . and would cry and squeal in sheer frustration. There was just no way he could eat dry toast fast :laughing: At first we had thought he was in pain until it dawned on us what his trouble was. He managed it all in the end, gave a contented sigh and asleep in my arms.

We still have a poster sized photo of him on the wall from that content nap, thumb in mouth cuddling his polar bear :heart_eyes:

Dads here probably have good note-making skills. But in case you need more ideas for your kids or grandkids::

The past two weeks have been keeping me quite busy (and tired) as Brianna discovered that she doesn’t have to hop like a frog or a toad, but can now crawl - and really fast! But her biggest accomplishment is that she found out how to hang on and pull herself up to a standing position. She looks around, then looks at whomever is in the room with her, then screams and laughs. She has such a proud look in her eyes! :heart_eyes: I had warned her two older sisters that when their baby sister learned to crawl, she would be getting into their toys - and she is indeed! The girls at first thought it was funny, but now they’re always yelling, “Brianna’s taking my dolls,” or “Brianna’s taking my toys and putting them in her mouth! Now they’re all wet!” :rofl: Everyday thirty minutes - when all three girls are in the playroom - one of us has to go around the playroom and pick up every doll shoe and anything that’s too small for Brianna to put into her mouth. Not bad for a little 7 month old! :wink:

I’ve already got Brianna watching for birds - and even trying to say “bird.” She is so close to the word that everyone knows what she is “talking” about. Now she says that more often than “Pa.” :hushed:

I’m adding this in here regarding her oldest sister, Olivia (the 5-year old). Olivia had been in the bathroom for quite some time - usually a sign that she’s doing something she’s not supposed to be doing, but on occasion she does try rearranging her hair. :slightly_smiling_face: When she finally came out and I went in, I raised the lid on the toilet and there was a big black spider on the seat! Olivia had used a stencil and colored in the spider - with a black ‘permanent’ marker! I also found two small hearts on the wall switch and two of something on the wall beneath the night light which she tried to wash off immediately, but only managed to smudge them. When Grandma went to use the toilet, she couldn’t find the roll of toilet paper. She opened the vanity drawer and sure enough was the roll. When she started to take some paper off the roll, she noticed that on every other sheet was a big black spider! Olivia also stenciled the roll of toilet paper! The good part is yet to come! Our daughter-in-law is deathly afraid of spiders. When she sees one in the house during the summer, she screams and one of the girls has to squash the spider and toss it in the trash! :laughing: When our DIL got home from work, she set her pocketbook and other items on the counter and rushed into the bathroom. You got it! As soon as she lifted the lid, there was that big black spider on the seat. Scream! She came rushing out from the bathroom still pulling her pants up! :rofl: Once we told her that Olivia stenciled the seat, she calmed down and went back in. Oops! We forgot to tell her about the toilet paper! :roll_eyes::laughing: A minute later we heard a loud “Oh! Oh!”, and then a few choice words that little children should hear! :rofl: I told my DIL that eventually the spider should wear off from the seat, but she said she’s not waiting… she’s going to buy a new one! :laughing:

:rofl::joy: Aww, Olivia is just trying to mummy of her spider phobia. So I think she should leave things just as they are and she’ll get so used to them being there that maybe when a real spider appears, she won’t react so dramatically :wink: :grin:

I’m definitely siding with your D-I-L on that one! :scream::scream:

Brianna - now just a few days shy of 8 months - bit her tongue for the first time today. :disappointed_relieved: As Grandma was feeding her lunch, Brianna apparently was licking the underside of the spoon and decided to bite it! Of course her tongue was still between her teeth and the spoon! She let out an awful scream and cried non-stop! She actually drew a little blood from those two sharp little incisors cutting into the underside of her tongue. Grandma wiped off her face and removed her bib so I could take her out of her high chair. The poor little thing cried for a good five minutes before she let up. As she cried I could see two small cuts under her tongue which were both all red. There was a little blood as well. Needless to say, she didn’t want to finish her lunch. :frowning_face:

Crunch up an ice cube and let her suck on it if she will. Or, wet a washcloth in ice water and see if she’ll suck on it. Or… put her pacifier in the freezer till cold and see if she’ll take that…

We keep 3 pacifiers in the refrigerator as Brianna doesn’t like them out of the freezer. A cold wash cloth was the closest to us at that moment so that’s what she put into her mouth. Ten minutes later she was smiling at me - and trying to rip my eye lids off as she “growled” at me! (We play “baby monster” and chase her big sisters around the house, growling at them. Brianna does a great job, but does get awful loud sometimes. :grinning:

Forgot… Popsicle. :slight_smile:

Glad the washcloth helped.

If she likes chicken noodle soup, the salt will help heal it faster.

Don’t forget… she’s only a few days shy of 8 months old. Too much salt isn’t good for those little developing kidneys. Besides, if I could get her to suck on a dill pickle, that should help heal it fast also. Of course she would be able to pucker up for lots of “Grandpa kisses” that way as well! :rofl::kissing_heart::heart_eyes:

Soup won’t hurt her. Not giving her a whole can, just enough to hit the spot.

Brianna’s two upper teeth broke through week ago - at the same time! When they did she yelled and cried, with real tears running down both cheeks. When my wife and I checked her gums, there was a little blood around both teeth where they poked through. After over 3 weeks of a constantly running nose (and several extra-large boxes of tissues), her nose has finally stopped running. I hugged her until she stopped crying hard then said, “Guess what? You have 2 more teeth! Yea!” She smiled and then bit my shoulder! :astonished: Then she giggled and we went back to playing with her toys. Of course she was biting each and every one as she tried out her new chompers! :laughing:

Since she’d mastered the art of crawling - and learned to do it very fast, for the past few weeks she’s been standing up constantly. At first she’d hold onto whatever was next to her, even if it was only knee high. Now she stands up on her own, wobbles back and forth for 10 seconds or so, then tried to walk. Bump! Right on her butt she goes. She smiles at me and gets right back up. So I stand up, hold onto her hands and we go for a walk around the house. She thinks that is the greatest, smiling from ear to ear! :heart_eyes: Now she thinks she can do it on her own, even trying to turn around without hanging on to anything at all. Down she goes, but it doesn’t phase her one bit. She should be walking within the next couple of weeks.
She kind of reminds me of her father. Jim walked before he crawled - at 9 months. He finally decided to crawl at 12 months! Did things in reverse order, but by the time he was crawling, he was already starting to run. I think Brianna is going to be a lot like him.
We did get a video of Brianna’s oldest sister, Olivia, taking her first steps. She took a paper from the coffee table, walked about 6 feet/2 meters over to me, and then went back and forth getting grandpa more papers off the table. The fourth time she was getting tired and wobbly so I caught her up in my arms and we all cheered her. That brought on the biggest smile and laugh from Olivia. With Eva, out of the clear blue sky she suddenly decided to stand up and walk across the room. She hadn’t even “practiced” trying to walk so no one had a camera or phone to take a video of her. She caught everyone off guard. Hopefully we can get a video of Brianna’s first steps - solo.

Since Brianna’s first words were “Pa… pa… papa” calling me, I was really hoping I would be hearing that non-stop, but no! Ever since then I think she’s only said it a dozen times. Since then it’s been “mama,” “dada,” “bird,” “Beh-wa” (for Bella the dog), and “ah-ma” (for grandma)! This little stinker is coming out with a whole slew of words and seems to have forgotten how to say, “Pa!” Bummer! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You know those small pianos they made for little kids? The kind that’s mostly off-key and sounds like they’re inside of a empty room? The kind that when two or more keys are struck at the same time the sound makes you cringe? Well, a certain little girl loves to play that. So one afternoon I placed a sippy cup of water and her little stuffed puppy on top of it. I sat her down in front of the piano and she started playing. Her mother walked in and saw her playing the piano with the puppy seemingly watching her from on top, and with her cup of water there. My DIL burst out laughing saying, “She looks like someone practicing the piano, glass of water and all! And the puppy sitting on top watching her was too much! I couldn’t help but laugh!” It was funny to see such a sight. :rofl: