2018 Weddell Seals Part 3 - Russian outposts

I had the reverse problem with Mawson and Davis campaign several days ago. I had a few regular screens with no poly. At first I thought I might have hit the hide poly button but that was not the case. In any event there were no seals to be found and it self corrected so I assumed someone had forgotten the poly on a few maps.

Another issue is that I have seen the Russian outpost twice in M&D and I think once in the Weddell sea campaign. This is the outpost with CCCP on the roof of one of the buildings and the 2 drum shaped structures to the left. Don’t know if the repeat is significant.

2017-2018 Weddel Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - Black Screen

That’s just reminded me of what originally happened with poly address I posted above . . . there was no poly when map opened so copied the address then hit the refresh button and that’s when I lost the image altogether :confused: But that’s the only one I’ve come across.

Don’t suppose if you noticed if the date stamps were the same? Or it could just be another poly adjacent to a previous one which is why you might be seeing the same area; I know I have and that’s what I’ve assumed.

Wouldn’t have noted the date stamps but most likely was adjacent poly being screened. Will watch for date if image shows up again and will get map number.

I’ve seen three polygons with the “CCCP” marked house within the polygon:
11/17/2010: http://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/208715
11/25/2010: http://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/213830
11/15/2011: http://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/205823

Add number 4 to the list although the CCCP building is not in the poly which is above and to the left of the complex. www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/272488 dated Saturday 11/26/2011 2:10AM UTC

Hi all - in case you miss it, want you to be aware I got to the bottom of the black-screen issue here: http://forum.tomnod.com/t/2017-dec-new-antarctica-weddel-seals-campaign-mawson-and-davis-adare-seas/5095/88?u=mel_nod

Thank you for posting.

As for seeing the same outpost again, that makes sense. We have some duplication in this campaign of location, but not of time-period. So, it is possible that you would see the same location twice, but it will be a different time-stamp. Since the seals move around, this helps us up our odds of seeing them.

It is somewhat possible that tomnod would bring you back to the exact same area (location and time), but its first stop is to give you a poly you have not viewed before. However, the more you have viewed, and the more contentious a polygon is, you might be brought back to it.

Hi @Mel_Nod, I don’t think the seals are going to hang out at the Russian embassy in Antarctica :ru: (unless they are like pigeons begging for scraps from humans). :dove: Just thought there would be too much activity nearby with storage drums on the rocks by the water. I understand the need to recheck areas in different years, but I think more changes in wildlife patterns will occur going forward with loss of the ice shelf due to climate change. :thinking: So I guess this is a positive negative. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, hahah, I see @Wilms.

I’m sure you’re right. With our amount of imagery, it’s easier to include the Russian embassy than cut it out. Keeping these areas also provides a nice smooth data surface for Michelle, instead of areas of “no data.”

Hi @Mel_Nod and @Shaul - just for the fun of it number 5 Russian outpost: www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/272477 same date and time as number 4. Would be interested in seeing where on Antarctica map outpost is located. :smile: :penguin: :globe_with_meridians:

Heureka! I’ve found the “CCCP station”! (This post MUST get 10 likes :- )

The station’s name is Mirny. It was opened in 1956, and is still active. In summer, it hosts up to 169 people in 30 buildings, in winter about 60 scientists and technicians. The average temperature at the location is −11 °C (12 °F), and on more than 200 days per year the wind is stronger than 15 metres per second (49 ft/s), with occasional cyclones.

Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mirny+station/@-66.5584916,92.9972425,413m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sMirny+Station,+Antarctica!3m4!1s0xadfc2c9209ff2303:0x823e2ac75a16c302!8m2!3d-66.5530884!4d93.0095441?hl=en

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirny_Station

Isn’t it a coincidence that the Russian space station was called Mir? :thinking:

Mirny means Peaceful, and Mir means peace. It’s all part of the propaganda.

Wow @Shaul here are your 10 likes :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
When I went to your google maps post I zoomed way out and there is another Russian station called Vostok which is at the coldest spot on earth and is a summer only research station. Here is a link to Nasa Earth Observatory satellite images:

Correction: not satellite images of Vostok station but rather images taken by a camera mounted on a NASA P-3 airplane per the sited article.

I’ve noticed there’s getting to be quite a few “non-technical” posts in this thread that would be more suited to the 2017-2018 Weddell Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - POI and Fun Finds. Please remember that the “Technical Issues” is to let the techs know of any technical problems that pop up. :wink:

It makes it hard for me as well to split the threads when posts cover mixed items. I’ll review it again.

Just trying to keep you on your toes… er, paws! :smirk_cat:

I don’t mind, really. Don’t mention my aching paws, back, tail…

“The plane,Boss, the plane” Not sure where it is , but it is a plane on the ice. Q#245404

Oops! This is in reply to @Beverly1. My bad! If you look to the left and slightly above the plane, you’ll see the landing strip that was cleared. Also, there are several sets of tracks running down to the research station below the plane - on the rocks. I had posted a screen shot of the plane as well as a zoomed out shot of the plane, landing strip, tracks and station in 2017-2018 Weddel & Davis Adare Seas - POI and Fun Finds at 2017-2018 Weddel Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - POI and Fun Finds .