Ghana: Child Slavery Campaign - Maps not specific to cause

Some maps of Lake Volta are not specific to this campaign. The map 4flx1iyfc depicts an upscale resort type of environment on the lake. I will not waste anymore of my time on this map. I tagged the shore boats but refuse to tag all those nice houses and buildings which obviously have no relationship to searching for child slavery sites. Also, when a map is mostly clouds…just remove it from the search please.

Ghana: Child Slavery Campaign - Images, 'Causes' and Campaigns

We do still tag them all.

Unfortunately as slavery is a way of life it’s not necessarily hidden or tucked somewhere out of the way in some remote purpose built village away from prying eyes.

I thought the same thing about clouds when I first started out on TN; hate doing them, but sometimes you can spot things through gaps in the clouds; every little helps :slight_smile:

Hi @Sandra

By way of a story… Human adult trafficking occurs in the US just like in other countries. Women are bought/sold, held in captivity, forced to do domestic work without pay, etc. They are often kept in upscale homes, often in a basement room made into a bedroom. This has included wealthier folks in NY townhouses and California mansions. :frowning:

The agency who works in Ghana doesn’t know exactly where children are kept, how many children, how they are transported, whether there are patterns to how they are moved, etc. Wealth or appearances shouldn’t guide where we tag. The children could be anywhere.

But I loaded the map example you gave. I don’t see any upscale lakeside resort. I see the same type of settlements as I’ve seen all over the land near Lake Volta.

That said, Nodders can choose how much they want to do. But every time we skip tagging objects, it dilutes the data that is badly needed. For example: If a social sciences researcher compared our tags to a current local land or land-usage map such as agricultural areas, an “every building tag” first gives # of dwellings. Second, using other data with our tags, they could then make estimates/statistics like: Of 14,000 buildings tagged, 22% were huts; 22% community buildings; 12% new structures with metal roofing; 5% agricultural; 35% fishing related; and whatever percent of unfinished buildings. Another researcher group might look only at one type of building or purpose. Another researcher might look at settlements in relation to roads and to the lake.

My point is that most seemingly simple “data”, like our tags, can help answer numerous research questions. One thing researchers can do with “buildings” data is to estimate population per building, and with in-country census data and land data from other records, they can do ALL kinds of studies which will give better understanding of the child slavery problem. For example, let’s say Nodders mark 50,000 “settlements” or “villages” but Census confirms a higher number of older citizens in some areas, the difference between where older residents vs. childbearing age adults live MAY have some importance in understanding the underlying economic issues of enslaving children. Personally, I find it fascinating just how social scientists can use simple data to theorize about problems and solutions-- all from our simple tags together with other sources of information. That’s exciting to me!

As to maps with clouds, the images come in as very long continuous “strips”. It simply is not feasible for someone at DG to eyeball every “frame” on every strip (that’s what we as Nodders do). They do try to remove some of the larger sections if they see all clouds, but sometimes they can’t “snip” out single sections. If they did that, it could mean we’d see black-unclickable frames at random spots throughout the map, which would greatly confuse many Nodders between the solid black and the gray overlay on the map sections.

I’ve copied your comment from Nodder Introductions so we can discuss it separately.

I’m still unsure what you mean that not every map relates to the cause or search goal?

I think one of the most interesting things I’ve learned since volunteering here is that satellites take images almost like a home printer-scanner bed. (I didn’t know that! I thought it was like taking a camera picture.)

From my understanding, WV3 (World View 3) takes one long continuous image as it passes overhead. That “pass” makes one long image strip that can then be sent back “home” to download at DigitalGlobe. Then, like a scanner bed, it resets, and does another long strip.

WV3 just captures in an image what exists in a long pass over the earth, not based on any particular ‘cause’. Perhaps the fact that satellites only images an area (not snapshots of “a cause”) is why you think a map tile doesn’t relate to the particular cause?

Really trying to understand your point, so I can explain the answer in a better way.