Lost plane near Kamloops

Why is there no campaign for the lost plane in Kamloops??

Tomnod is not required to initiate any particular campaign. As has been posted in the First Look thread, Tomnod has set guidelines for all requests. While the staff and all nodders share concerns about anyone in distress, often it is just not feasible to do a campaign for a specific event. We post requests here in the First Look thread in case Staff thinks they can retask the satellites to get new images.

A heavily treed, mountainous area would be just as difficult to search from satellite images as from the ground. ( http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/search-underway-after-private-plane-carrying-two-fails-to-arrive-in-kamloops )

I have driven truck up in the area of Cranbrook and Kamloops and let me assure you that it is freaking rough and heavily forested. That’s one reason I retired, I drove mainly in Canadian West for the last 5 years and driving there in the winter time will give you ulcers.

Sounds just a little bit like the aggravation I used to get when I was called out to salt the roads in winter. Our foreman used to wait so long before he would call us in to work, but by that time everything was covered with 1/2"-1" of ice and/or freezing rain. It would take me over an hour and half just to drive the 6 miles up to the “hollow” where the highway department was. Of course there is a very steep hill that I couldn’t always make, so I had to slid back down backwards to the bottom, drive down US Rte 9W into the next county and cut up through a hilly, winding back road. At least those hills weren’t as long and steep. By the time I was heading back down to do my own route, I had to salt the state highway because nothing could move. One time I stopped my truck on the pavement to check my load. As I was on top of the sander, I realized my truck was moving! It was sliding sideways toward the ditch. The vibrations from the motor was enough to start it sliding on the ice! I practically fell off the sander getting down, hopped in and dropped my plow. The extra 1800 pounds was enough to stop it from sliding. Then I had to slid down that hill that I couldn’t get up when I was on my way to work. There is a “S” curve near the top and I ended up sliding sideways - passenger side first - down the hill, pumping my brakes as I ran the sander’s spinner and auger at full blast. I probably wasted enough salt to do several miles of road, but it was enough to let me get straightened out, then slide sideways driver’s side first, and so on until I reached the bottom - 3/4 mile down! I think I used nearly 1//3 of my load just getting down that hill. Then I had to do my own roads and hills, which were even steeper and more dangerous than that one. One hill had a small wooded bridge that crossed over a 60-foot ravine that led down a narrow winding and steep road to a marina. For some other hills, I had to off-load a pile of salt, grab a shovel and walk around to the front of the truck and spread it on the hill ahead of me. That’s how I salted the entire 3/4-mile hill. What should have taken about 6 hours to do ended up taking me about 14 hours. And when I would meet someone one on the road (usually off the road), they would actually be angry with me, asking what took me so long to get to “their” road! :angry: And I also had about 8 broken tire chains I had to stop and repair on the road. :anguished: I don’t miss that at all now that I’m retired. :heart_eyes: